Random rants

I'm just sayin'....

I read every day in the trades that networks are bidding on comedy pitches and handing out put pilots and stiff penalties for not going to series. Here’s what I would negotiate for: creative freedom. No notes. Screw penalty payments. Let me do my show my way. If I’ve come up with a brilliant idea or have such brilliant talent attached and you're just dying to be in business with me then maybe I’m capable of producing a good show without interference.

Even though Joe Buck is still suffering from a virus that has gripped his vocal cords, I still say he’s the best play-by-play man Fox has for NFL football and should not be removed from the number one slot.

But…

For the World Series, how about letting the great Vin Scully have one last hurrah?  We won't have many more chances to hear this national treasure.   Oh, and let him work alone. It’s the best Tim McCarver will ever sound.

And while we’re on the subject of the upcoming baseball playoffs – there’s something wrong when Dick Stockton is working for two networks and Jon Miller is not even working for one.

Wouldn’t it be great if the X-FACTOR gets worse numbers than FEAR FACTOR did?   After all, they're similar shows. 

Just five more days until Margo Martindale wins her richly-deserved Emmy.  My review this year will be somewhat, uh... different.   Stay tuned.

Official announcement: I have decided not to be the showrunner on the projected new Roseanne sitcom. The reason: I’m not out of my mind crazy suicidal fucking nuts!!!!!  But I do have a suggestion that Roseanne is welcome to use.  How about Glenn Beck as your co-star?  You're very welcome.  

I’d vote for Katy Perry before I vote for Rick Perry. And I suspect a lot of Republicans would too.

Chelsea Handler is beating Conan O’Brien in the ratings. Could NBC have been right?

Thanks to everyone who participated in last night’s Teleseminar. It was supposed to be an hour. There were enough great writing questions that I answered for two. Somewhere in those two hours I must’ve – even through dumb luck -- said something worthwhile.

And finally, only one slot remains open for THE SITCOM ROOM seminar. It’s your last chance maybe for two years. Here’s where you go to register. Thanks much.